IMPORTANT - BUS INFO - DID YOU KNOW?
DID You KNOW? IMPORTANT CHANGE FOR TRANSPORTATION APPROVAL TIMELINES
With the end of the school year here, we have received many inquiries regarding the approval process for NEW applications for transportation to Non-Designated schools
Here are some important things to be aware of:
- Any students with a new Non-Designated application will not be transported when school begins on September 3rd.
- You are responsible for transporting your child to school while the application is being reviewed.
- The review process for all new Non-Designated applications will begin on September 15th.
- At this point, applications will be reviewed to ensure there is enough room on the bus prior to approval.
- Non-Designated transportation is not guaranteed.
- Horizon School Division’s Transportation Coordinator will contact each family to let them know if the application has been approved, denied, or if the child has been placed on a waitlist.
- The review process will take time; therefore, in some cases it may take 1-2 weeks for the review to be completed and for approved students to begin riding.
Who is a Non-Designated rider:
- Anyone leaving their school attendance boundary to attend a school of choice
Who is considered a NEW Non-Designated rider:
- Anyone is who has not been granted approval for transportation to a Non-Designated school in the past.
- Approval is granted for each individual student not per family.
- Example - If you have children who have been approved to ride in the past and also have a new kindergarten student requiring Non-Designated transportation, the new kindergartend student cannot ride until being reviewed and receiving confirmation of approval – after September 15th
Please note that first priority for bussing is given to students who are funded by Alberta Education for transportation; however, there is often additional room/seats that may be filled on our busses. Students leaving their attendance area for a school of choice may access school bus transportation only if there is extra, uncommitted room on the bus and if Horizon School Division does not incur any additional expenses.
If you have concerns or questions regarding this please contact:
Tenille Miller, Transportation Coordinator
(403)223-3547 ext. 10126